- Funding Opportunity: 2022 Trainee Travel Awards
We are pleased to announce the return of our annual Canadian MSK Rehab Research Network Trainee Travel Awards. 2022 will mark our fourth Trainee Awards competition and up to $15,000 in total funding is available to:
- foster the development of future leaders in MSK health rehabilitation research
- enhance the number of trainees involved in transdisciplinary musculoskeletal health rehabilitation research;
- support the career advancement of trainees; and
- support each trainee financially
Call for Applications: May 17, 2022
Deadline: Rolling applications through December 23rd, 2022 or until a total of $15,000 has been awarded.
First funding decisions will be made by June 24th, 2022, subsequent decisions will be made within two weeks of receiving application.
The purpose of the award is to assist with travel expenses for trainees to attend a conference related to MSK rehabilitation research at which they are presenting their research project (via poster, oral or other form of presentation). Note that funding may be subject to abstract submission and approval at the conference that you plan to attend.
This allows the Network to fund a much larger number of trainees this year than traditional awards and provide additional professional development opportunities not covered by their current funding.
In 2022 the Network will be offering a total of up to $15,000 in three tiers of travel stipends based on traveling distance:
Within Province or Virtual Presentation – $500
Neighbouring Province (ex. Ontario to Quebec, Alberta to BC) – $1,000
National or International Travel – $1,500
These awards are intended to cover conference travel and registration expenses to attend a conference at which the trainee’s research project is presented. Applicants will submit expenses or a proposed budget of CIHR-eligible costs and awarded stipends will be given based on incurred/budgeted expenses to the maximum of each funding tier above. Applicants will be eligible for a maximum of one (1) award per calendar year.
- outstanding potential to contribute to musculoskeletal health rehabilitation research
- registered as a full-time graduate student, postdoctoral fellow or clinician scientist in training
- accepted to an accredited program
- supervised (mentored) by a Network Member
- engaged in research that is clearly relevant to musculoskeletal health rehabilitation
- indicate which conference(s) you wish to attend to present your research, including travel distance
- include a proposed budget and justification of funds for travel to a national or international conference specific to MSK rehabilitation research
- provide details on the research topic for the conference at which you will attend and present your project
- submit reporting, as requested by network training and mentoring group
How to Apply
Apply online: https://uwo.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9HnL9CXHAzqrJPM
Fillable PDF application form:
Any questions can be directed to Ryan Power (Network Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration & Abstract Submission OPEN! CBJC 2022
Registration and abstract submissions for the upcoming 2022 Canadian Bone and Joint Conference are now open! And we are thrilled to announce that this exciting virtual conference will be FREE for Rehab Network trainees!
The MSK Rehab Research Network is covering the cost of registration for our trainee members. Trainees can contact email@example.com before registering to receive a discount code that will cover your full registration fee!
The Canadian MSK Rehab Research Network is thrilled to once again co-host this unique and exciting virtual conference that will include an interactive panel hosted by Dr. Joy MacDermid on “MSK Innovation Factory” – co-creation of technology-enabled interventions for MSK health. We strongly encourage our members to attend as we introduce the MSK Innovation Factory initiative at Western University and its concepts; followed by a series of presentations from MSK Rehab Research Network members on their projects in development.
The conference will include Live-streamed Oral Presentations and Pre-recorded Video Open Poster Sessions focused on several topic areas including (but not limited to):
- Inflammation and Auto Immune Diseases
- Impact of Arthritis on youth and their care transitions
- Human & Technology Interaction for Health
- Patient Populations Characteristics & Perspectives
- New Ideas and Emerging Trends for MSK Health
In addition to an exciting and interactive scientific line up, this year’s conference will once again include a Young Investigator’s Forum – a full block of offerings organized by trainees just for you. Interactive sessions include Insider View of Tri-Council Scholarships, No Time to Be Human: Making Room for Self-Care in Graduate School, and Academia and Beyond: Career Opportunities After Graduate School.
Full details and registration can be found here: https://cbjc.ca/
- Trainee Seeking Post-Doc Opportunities
Flora To-Miles of the University of British Columbia (current supervisor Dr. Catherine Backman) is currently seeking Postdoctoral Fellowship opportunities in the areas of Rehabilitation, occupational therapy, arthritis, chronic diseases and wellbeing.
Recent publications (contact Flora for a full list of publications):
- To-Miles, F., Forwell, S., Puterman, E., Håkansson, C., Wagman, P., & Backman, C.L. (2021). Accepted pending revisions. Exploring occupations and well-being before and during the COVID-19 pandemic in adults with and without inflammatory arthritis. Journal of Occupational Science.
- To-Miles, F., Håkansson, C., Wagman, P., & Backman, C.L. (2021). In press.Exploring the associations among occupational balance and health of adults with and without inflammatory arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research. Advance online publication.
Arthritis Society Research Grant, $5000
Doctoral research grant, 2018
Andrew Nord Fellowship in Rheumatology (UBC award; 2016-2020)
The MSK Rehab Research Network is happy to share available opportunities (such as job postings or trainee positions) and qualified trainees seeking opportunities (such as post-doctoral fellowships) with our members. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Opportunity: Professor Position at Northeastern University
Of interest to trainees, we are sharing the current opportunity of Assistant/Associate Professor in the Bouve College of Health Sciences at Northeastern University’s Boston Campus.
See full details here: https://careers.hrm.northeastern.edu/en-us/job/508305/assistantassociate-professor
- ISEK 2022 Congress
The ISEK (International Society of Electrophysiology and Kinesiology) 2022 Congress is being held June 22-25 in Quebec City.
Two of the Canadian MSK Rehab Research Network’s Co-PIs, Dr. Laurent Bouyer and Dr. Jean-Sebastien Roy are co-chairs for this exciting international conference.
The proposal submission period for symposium, workshops and abstracts is now underway. We encourage you to submit your proposals and hope to see many Network members at the conference next year!
More information is available here: https://isek.org/2022-congress/