UPDATE MARCH 1O, 2023: due to the overwhelming response to this opportunity, application intake is currently closed as we assess available funds. Thank you for your interest in this competition!
We are pleased to announce the return of our annual Canadian MSK Rehab Research Network Trainee Travel Awards. 2023 will mark our fifth Trainee Awards competition and up to $20,000 in total funding is available to:
- foster the development of future leaders in MSK health rehabilitation research;
- enhance the number of trainees involved in transdisciplinary musculoskeletal health rehabilitation research;
- support the career advancement of trainees; and
- support each trainee financially
Call for Applications: February 15th, 2023
In 2023 the Network will be offering a total of up to $20,000 in three tiers of stipends based on travel distance:
Within Province or Virtual Presentation – up to $500 per award
Neighbouring Province (ex. Ontario to Quebec, Alberta to BC) – up to $1,500 per award
National or International Travel – up to $2,000 per award
These awards are intended to cover conference travel and registration expenses to attend a conference at which the trainee has been invited to present their research. Applicants will submit expenses or a proposed budget of CIHR-eligible costs and awarded funds will be given based on incurred expenses up to the maximum of each funding tier above. Applicants will be eligible for a maximum of one (1) award per calendar year.
The purpose of the award is to assist with travel expenses for trainees to present their research at a conference related to MSK rehabilitation research (via poster, oral or other form of presentation). Note that funding will be subject to abstract submission and approval at the conference you plan to attend. Oral/podium presentation invitations may be given preference over poster presentations.
This form of awards allows the Network to fund a much larger number of trainees this year than traditional awards and provide additional professional development opportunities not covered by their current funding. Please note that additional funding and experiential opportunities will be launched by the MSK Rehab Research Network throughout 2023.
Rolling applications through September 1st, 2023 or until a total of $20,000 has been awarded. First funding decisions will be made by March 15th, 2023 and subsequent decisions will be made within two weeks of receiving application. Please note that due to high demand in 2022, all available funds were awarded within two months of launching – be sure to apply early!
- outstanding potential to contribute to MSK health rehabilitation research;
- registered as a full-time graduate student, postdoctoral fellow or clinician scientist in training;
- accepted to an accredited program;
- supervised (mentored) by a current Network Member;
- engaged in research that is clearly relevant to MSK health rehabilitation
- indicate which conference(s) at which you will be presenting, including travel distance. Please indicate whether you have been invited for a podium or poster presentation
- include a proposed budget and justification of funds for travel to a national or international conference specific to MSK rehabilitation research
- provide details on the research topic for the conference at which you will attend and present your project
- submit reporting, as requested by network training and mentoring group
How to Apply
Applications currently closed
Any questions can be directed to Ryan Power (Network Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org